[mythtv-users] Why did you pick MythTV VS the other PVRs?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Sat Aug 29 16:07:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 08:31 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Backing up to other hard drive(s) is probably the most economical method,
> though maybe not the most reliable.

That's basically what I do. I've got external firewire cases for IDE
drives. I plug the backup device in, do the backups on all systems, then
unplug it, thus protecting the backup. But it is a manual procedure.
Works OK for a handful of home systems, wouldn't be suitable at work
where we have dozens of servers and hundreds of workstations.

I do a full backup every six months, and an incremental each weekend
(occasionally I miss one and that's OK). Each incremental has the files
on it that were modified since the last TWO incrementals, so that every
changed file gets into at least two different incremental backups.

> But in Myth's case it's only TV, there's not much that couldn't be replaced.
> Any truly irreplaceable video can be archived to DVD, anything else can be
> obtained somewhere else if necessary.

That's my philosphy. I don't bother backing up the recordings drives.

--Greg