[mythtv-users] Tivo suing everyone in sight over DVR patents

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:35:51 UTC 2009

> And that is what they have done. The patent isn't on PVR itself, it's on a
>  specific arrangement that allows the use of low performance CPU.
>
> In some ways I'm actually surprised at how narrowly they defined it, but a
> decade ago when it was filed, I guess there really weren't that many CPUs
> about so something like Myth wouldn't be possible without spending a lot of
> cash. Also, as Johnny points out, if they made it broader then they'd risk
> having it rejected.

Also individual claims can be invalidated through litigation or prior
art, etc. but the rest of the patent and claims will still hold. So
you often see a lot of claims, with some being broad and others being
quite narrow. That way if the broader claims get invalidated the more
narrow claims will still hold up. The narrower the claim the less
likely it is that it will be invalidated, but it is also easier for
someone to work around.