[mythtv-users] Tivo suing everyone in sight over DVR patents

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:22:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> However, this is the dangerous part - there is nothing at all to stop TiVo
> suing the developers, nothing at all. The case could well be thrown out with
> prejudice at the first hearing, but that would still cost the defendants
> (probably a fair amount) to arrive at that hearing suitably prepared. Tivo
> would be very stupid to do so though, they would know that they would lose,
> and that would a) cost them, and b) put them at a disadvantage in future
> cases against others. That's probably the only restraining factor.

The restraining factor is that the MythTV developers are unlikely to have
the sort of money that  Tivo are looking to make from these suits. They were
awarded $100M against Dish Network - that's the sort of money they're after.
Sure they wouldn't want their patent busted for prior art, but since the
Dish Network didn't manage to do that I doubt Tivo'd be worried about the
MythTV devs doing it.

If Tivo just wanted to shut MythTV down they'd start by sending C&D letters.

Cheers,
Steve