[mythtv-users] mythbackend leaking file descriptors/sockets?

Joel mythtv at ebel.mybox.org
Thu Aug 27 21:30:12 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/27/2009 12:12 PM, Joel wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Mixing "Internet" (Schedules Direct or XMLTV) listings and EIT on the
>>> same channel is not supported.  If you enable EIT on a channel for
>>> which you have Internet listings, the EIT will stomp all over the
>>> data, breaking duplicate matching and possibly more (including
>>> scheduling).  In the future, we may have a "safe update" approach
>>> that allows mixing them, but we don't now.
>>
>> Maybe we're talking about something different then.  When I select
>> SchedulesDirect as my listings grabber in mythtv-setup, an options
>> called "Perform EIT Scan" shows up.  It appears as a sub-option, only
>> visible when SchedulesDirect is selected.  If this option were somehow
>> incompatible with having SchedulesDirect selected, it's in entirely
>> the wrong place in the UI, and also completely invisible at any time
>> it might otherwise be useful, if it is at all useful.  Under what
>> context should the Perform EIT Scan option be checked if
>> SchedulesDirect is used?  If the answer is "never", then why is it there?
>
> The "on the same channel" portion of my comment is the important
> distinction.  Note that it's quite possible that you may have a video
> source for which you wish to use Schedules Direct.  However, some, for
> example, small-time channel in the area may not provide its listings to
> TMS/Schedules Direct; therefore, you may choose to enable EIT on the
> specific channel for which you have no listings data from Schedules Direct.
>
> The Video Sources "Perform EIT scan" setting /allows/ you to use EIT on
> the video source.  However, each channel within that source also has a
> setting, "Use on air guide," which you enable or disable to specify
> whether to use EIT for that particular channel.  (Note that it defaults
> to true, so you'll need to disable it for all channels for which you're
> using Schedules Direct to retrieve listings.)
>
> Therefore, since many fewer users actually have video sources where they
> need to use SD/XMLTV on some channel and EIT on others, Myth is designed
> to allow easy configuration for using EIT on some or none of the
> channels (and takes more work for the "corner case" of using different
> ones on different channels within the source).  If you want to use EIT
> for all channels, simply enable the "Perform EIT Scan" setting and,
> since the channels all default to true for "Use on air guide," EIT will
> be used on all channels.  If you want to use SD/XMLTV on all channels,
> simply disable the "Perform EIT Scan" setting and, even though the
> channels default to true for "Use on air guide," EIT will not be used on
> the channel in the video source since EIT is not allowed on the video
> source.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.  I do have a few local
channels with no SD data.  I may try enabling EIT out of curiosity to
see if the fd leaks still happen only on those channels.

>> Also, if EIT scanning and SchedulesDirect data are incompatible, wy
>> doesn't the EIT scanner to a check to see if SchedulesDirect data
>> exists, and if so, exit?
>
> Patches welcomed.  :)  (Though, really, the time would probably be
> better spent working on a proper fix for
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1770 .  If interested, you should
> mention your proposed changes (or ask for design recommendations) on the
> -dev list as a couple of the developers already have an idea of how it
> should be implemented.)

We'll see if I get the time and determination to look into it any
further.  I'm rather swamped at the moment, and was only forced to look
into this problem as far as I did because mythbackend was needing to be
restarted every 42 hours, which got annoying.  That bug is interesting
though,  I remember seeing behavior like that at some point in the past
as well.  I probably disabled EIT scanning at the time to fix it and
forgot about it.

>>   The failure mode of leaking file descriptors at a rate that breaks
>> the backend in two days seems an odd choice.
>
> That's unrelated to the mixing of EIT and SD--however, the lack of
> support for mixing means you won't lose anything (and will actually gain
> a better-working system) by disabling EIT.

I'll start by re-enabling EIT just on channels without SD data.  If I
still see it leaking fd's I'll try to dig a little deeper.

Thanks,
Joel