[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:41:13 UTC 2009

> At least in the U.S. market, it seems to be set up to force you to
> bounce between carriers.
>
> Get Comcast Tripple Play!  Unlimited Voice, 10,000 HD channels, 5Gb/s
> Internet and we'll pay you $10/month just for being our customer! *
>
> <microscopic font>*promotional price valid for the first 20 minutes of
> service, rates adjust to $1499.99/mo for the next two years,
> forfeiture of the deed to your house and/or children upon early
> cancellation.</mf>
>
> Or something like that.
>
> Anyway, the rates for being a "new" customer seem to be significantly
> lower than being a loyal customer, so it doesn't make too much sense
> to shy away from Comcast based on what they might do a year or two
> from now.  If they do something you don't like, that's the perfect
> time to become someone else's new customer.

Yeah MythTV had a similar offer for me. ;-)

Introductory offer: Free! Now you can finally use that old computer
from your basement! We will provide the software! Its better than your
VCR!

After the first year: You now "need" to rewire your house with gigabit
ethernet, build a multi-terabyte NAS array, install an antenna on your
roof, and purchase multiple new frontends and a master backend with
the associated accessories.

Fine print: * You will also now work for us most weekends and provide
tech support via our online mailing list 24/7.