[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Aug 27 17:20:55 UTC 2009

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Ronald Frazier<ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> Well, the thing is...the only reason I'm considering it is that the
>> unencrypted digital sounds really nice. Other than that, I'm very
>> anti-Comcast. It stems back to a lot of things, though primarily the
>> fact that I went almost 3 days with no internet and only got the
>> problem resolved after I setup a packet sniffer and told the network
>> admins exactly how their network was setup wrong
>
> Comcast has no monopoly on incompetence.

No, but as Internet providers go they're pretty incompetent.  There are
better ones out there, although probably not on cable.  Cable companies
have been monopolies for so long that their customer service muscles
have atrophied completely.  This is why I currently have Comcast for my
TV and Speakeasy dry-line DSL for my Internet service.  It would be
cheaper to get it all from Comcast, but I telecommute and need my
Internet service to actually *work*.

None of this applies to Comcast's *business* cable Internet service,
which in my experience gets a whole different tier of support.  Those
guys seem to know what they're doing and be empowered to fix problems,
unlike the residential support folks, who can only follow the script.