[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Aug 27 16:19:48 UTC 2009

> Hey all,
>
> Though I hate to be a bearer of bad news,
<snip>

OK, I'll confess I don't understand the 3-24 month roadmap as Comcast (US)
subscribers.  Can you help?

Like many, I have an HDHR and a Happauge 500 that are doing quite nicely
at capturing the Comcast wire's QAM HD and analog SD broadcasts.

I too received my letter from Comcast that the "high numbered analog
channels" (in Chicago western suburbs) were headed for digitization and
that I'd need some boxes, but I haven't spent much effort figuring out how
it will impact my Myth rig.  (That whole thing about needing a box now
really pisses me off)

So what are the options someone should consider as an alternative to the
Comcast monopoly.  I cannot get AT&T Uverse here, I could get WOW but
don't want to, I could get a dish, could upgrade the whole damn house to
Comcast digital and Comcast DVR with decoders which pretty well undermines
a lot of the basis for me wanting to build out with Myth?!

I don't want to take your valuable thread too far off topic, but I could
really use some informed counsel.

THANKS!