[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Aug 27 16:05:55 UTC 2009

> it doesn't make too much sense
> to shy away from Comcast based on what they might do a year or two
> from now.  If they do something you don't like, that's the perfect
> time to become someone else's new customer.

Well, the thing is...the only reason I'm considering it is that the
unencrypted digital sounds really nice. Other than that, I'm very
anti-Comcast. It stems back to a lot of things, though primarily the
fact that I went almost 3 days with no internet and only got the
problem resolved after I setup a packet sniffer and told the network
admins exactly how their network was setup wrong (they were assigning
me an IP for the wrong subnet). In fact, it might have even lasted
longer than that except that I just picked a random IP on the correct
subnet, statically assigned it, and then waited a week to switch back
to DHCP.

So anyway, I've got a lot of reasons to stay away, and just this one
reason tempting me back, and if it looks like they are going to pull
the rug out from under me on that one thing, I'm not sure I want to
invest the effort in converting (and compromising my principles in the
process).

--
Ron