[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 27 14:39:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM, <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> ABCHD seems to be encrypted coming out ( firewire) of my
> DCH3200 box. ?????????????
> The other HD majors are fine, at least for now.

There's no real correlation between firewire encryption (5C) and
encryption of the signal being sent to your house, which is what we're
talking about here.

I get some encrypted channels which are inaccessible to my HDHR but
which are unencrypted and available to me via firewire.  Other
channels are encrypted on both or clear on both.  It's conceivably
possible to have channels which are in the clear on the cable but
encrypted over firewire.  That wouldn't make much sense, but cable
company executives don't seem to be bound by common sense.

Eric