[mythtv-users] Fwd: Some HDHomeRun Channels Don't Show

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:29:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Fred Squires<fsquires at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM, <moodyjunk at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>>>Having a # symbol in the channel number means MythTV was unable to find
>>>the information in the stream it needed to properly assign a channel
>>>number and callsign to the channel.
>>
>> Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question.  hdhomerun_config returns 5 (1..5) streams for channel 81, which I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) are 81.1, 81.2, .. 81.5, with 81.1 being WNET and 81.2 being WPIX as shown by hdhomerun_config.  However MythTV channel editor shows 81#1 which I assumed was 81.1=WNET, but is actually recording 81.2=WPIX.  I can not find a 81#* stream which is (as reported by hdhomerun_config) 81.1=WNET.  So, I correlate the hdhomerun reported data with the MythTV reported data.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> The channel number that the TV shows you and the channel number that a
> network is actually broadcast on can actually be different.
>
> Here Fox 45 which shows up on my TV and in MythTV as 45.1 is actually
> broadcast on channel 46. So when MythTV scans for channels it finds
> Fox 45 on channel 46, and Fox 45 says I'm supposed to show up as
> station 45.1, so that's where MythTV lists it.
>
> What you're seeing is a station that either isn't reporting what
> channel it should be shown on or is too weak for MythTV to get that
> information before it times out. So your 81#1 is probably 81.2, and
> your 81#2 could be any channel, you'll just have to watch them to
> figure it out.

My cable system doesn't seem to provide the channel information for
any station, so Myth lists them all with as 81#1, etc. I actually
didn't know it was any different for any one else. This makes it
difficult because the numbers don't line up at all (81#2 might be 81.7
and 81#3 might be 81.4). I've found that it helps to look in the
database at the serviceid in the channel table to see what the actual
program number is.

Bob