[mythtv-users] Configuring a slave server with additional tuners

Tue Aug 25 22:11:47 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 17:46:58 Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Eric A. Boney wrote:
> > I am having some issues getting my slave backend to connect to the
> > mysql database on the master backend.
> >
> > Somehow the master sees that the slave has an additional tuner card
> > available, but it doesn't show it as connected. In the logs on the
> > slave I see errors about not being able to connect to the database.
> > I have verified that the ip address is correct, that the password is
> > correct and that the slave backend is actually running.
> >
> > I have looked at the permissions of the "mythtv" user in mysql and
> > it has complete access both locally and with the "%" sign. I do not
> > have MySQL installed on the slave server at all.
> >
> > I looked at the my.cnf configuration file on my master backend and I
> > have tried both commenting and un-commenting the line bind:
> > 192.168.1.xxx out. Neither seems to allow the slave to access the
> > database on the master.
> >
> > I am at a loss currently. If there are other items from either of
> > the logs that might help, please just ask.
>
> The actual error message coming from MySQL would help. Try logging in
> from the command line and report back the error you get.
>
> e.g. $ mysql -umythtv -p<password> -h<ip address of backend> mythconverg
>
> -Brad
Well when I run that from the command line I am able to login to the mysql
server and get a myql command prompt. No errors encountered at all. So this
makes me wonder if there is a problem with the configuration file for the
slave backend.

I have looked in the mysql.txt files on the slave backend and all the DB
information there is correct. Only item missing in all of them is the DBType=
is blank.

-Eric