[mythtv-users] HDMI audio - MB or a Video card that just works?

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Tue Aug 25 18:31:05 UTC 2009

* James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote on [08-25-09y 11:10]:
> On my card the pin closest to the hdmi connector is the data pin. The pin
> closest to the GPU is ground. The data pin has a white triangle above it on
> the PCB.

This is fantastic information, and really helps me eliminate a lot of
confusion.

> For reference my MB is an Asus M2N-MX SE Plus. The on board audio is listed
> as:
>
> james at mythfront:~$ sudo lspci -vv -s 00:05.0
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev
> a2)
>    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8290
>    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>    Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask+ 64bit+ Queue=0/0
> Enable-
>        Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
>        Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000000
>    Capabilities: [6c] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed+
>    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

We have almost the exact same hardware.  My MB is the ASUS
M2N-something, and my on-board sound is almost exactly as yours, but
it's the nVidia Corporation MCP51 instead of the 61.

> In alsamixer I have IEC958 and IEC958D (IEC958 Default PCM). Both are
> un-muted.

Yup, me too...

> In Myth I have
>
> audio output device: ALSA:spdif
>
> pass thru output device: Default
>
> AC3 and DTS passthrough are checked.

I haven't even tried with myth yet.  Still using aplay.

> Nvidia drivers 180.60 are installed.

I'm running the 180.44 drivers...

> I have tested this setup on two televisions and HDMI audio has worked on
> both.

Awesome!

> If I can help you with any more settings let me know.

You have been super helpful thus far!  Thanks,
    Ryan