[mythtv-users] HDMI audio - MB or a Video card that just works?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Aug 25 13:20:28 UTC 2009

Ryan Allen wrote:
> Hi List,
>
>    I really need a recipe that is known to make HDMI audio "just work"
>    on a newer generation motherobard/CPU with minimal tinkering?
>
>    I will go out and buy all new hardware if I need to.
>
>    I've searched the history of this thread, and I've found many
>    problem discussions, but no actual "this hardware worked with this
>    recipe".
>
>    The constraints are, my new AVR's HDMI inputs only take audio
>    from them, I cannot specify a different source.
>
>    After my cat puked into my case, the component video stopped working.
>    I bought a new ASUS EN9500GT OC/DI/512M, because it has an SPDIF
>    input header, and hopes of running VDPAU.
>
>    The video from the card is awesome, but I cannot get audio for the
>    life of me.  First, the card has NO MANUAL, so I have no idea which
>    pin is gnd, and which pin is data.  Each iteration of tweaking ALSA is
>    a n*2, while I try to flip the cable guessing which pin is correct.
>
>    Basically it's hopeless and I am out of patience.  Not because I
>    dislike tinkering, but because I don't know what I am doing, and I
>    don't understand the alsa settings, just following others "this
>    worked for me" posts.
>
>    I prefer Mythbuntu but will try a different distro if that is
>    recommended.
>
>    HELP!!!
>
>    Thanks so much...

I recently upgraded my FE to HDMI audio. I have an older Asus MB with a
SPDIF header. I purchased a new video card
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121271 same
one you have) that came with the wire to connect to the SPDIF header. I
replaced a Nvidia 8400 card so I already had the right drivers. I am
using JYA's backport with VDPAU and the version of the Nvidia driver
that he currently has available.

After installing the hardware, I had to unmute the IEC958 audio in
alsamixer. I then went into Myth and configured the sound for alsa spdif
and checked the options for AC3 and the other pass through.

After that I had sound working through HDMI. No fiddling with config
files or anything. Just make sure the SPDIF is not muted and set the
Myth sound output correctly.

This is all with Mythbuntu 9.04 with JYA's backport repo.

Cheers,
James