[mythtv-users] HDMI audio - MB or a Video card that just works?

Patrick Ruckstuhl patrick at tario.org
Tue Aug 25 05:52:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

I got audio over HDMI working just fine using the following:

Mainboard with onboard Graphics Card that can du vdpau: P5N7A-VM

I'm using mythbuntu

what I needed to do is create the file /etc/asound.conf

pcm.hdmi_hw {
  type hw
  card 0     #  <-----  Put your card number here
  device 3   #  <-----  Put your device number here
}

pcm.hdmi_formatted {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm hdmi_hw
    rate 48000
    channels 2
  }
}

pcm.hdmi_complete {
  type softvol
  slave.pcm hdmi_formatted
  control.name hdmi_volume
  control.card 0
}

pcm.!default hdmi_complete

use the 0 and 3 I found out by running aplay -l which lists

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

After this I used alsamixer to unmute the device (basically just try to
unmute everything until you here something)

Regards,
Patrick