[mythtv-users] v4l Framegrabber Video Quality

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Aug 24 18:53:23 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I recently lost my PVR-500 encoder and rather than purchase a new analog
recorder I am falling back to the framegrabbers built into my Pinnacle
800i QAM/ATSC cards.

With the PVR-500 bitrate cranked up to 6000-9000 the video was as good
as the cable fed directly into the TV. With the mpeg4 settings on 5000
the quality is still well below the PVR recordings.

I think I have enough CPU for mpeg4 (Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2.0GHz). I have
searched the archives and played with the Recording Profile options, but
am still not able to get decent quality from the framegrabbers. Does
anyone have some pointers or settings I should try to improve the quality?

I am willing to trade increased disk space for better quality
recordings. I do not store any shows on external media and only watch
shows from a Myth FE.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James