[mythtv-users] How to get current movies into myth for later recording?

Brad DerManouelian bderman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 02:01:31 UTC 2009

On Aug 23, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Michael Rice wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:56 PM, freedenizen<freedenizen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Michael
>> Rice<mikerice1969 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Frequently I will hear about a movie that I'd like to record someday
>>> when it ends up on TV/cable.
>>> I can manually create a recording rule but when your interface is a
>>> remote it's a little painful.
>>> I've used tvwish in the past but shelling to the myth box and adding
>>> the title to the list isn't
>>> always easy (especially for my wife).
>>
>> Why not use mythweb and make a custom rule?  Pretty easy if you know
>> the title already.
>
> I am looking for something you can do in front of the TV, with the
> remote, without
> typing in titles.  The real idea is to browse through movies listings
> and stumble
> across movies you might be interested in then just hit a button to
> record when
> it becomes available in the future.

Have you ever used the "Share on Facebook" bookmark thing? Basically
what you do it drag and drop a special Facebook link into your
browser's bookmark bar. Then when you find an interesting web page,
you click the link in the bookmark bar which launches a script that
grabs the link and sends it to a "Share on Facebook" page. It would be
cool to integrate this with some movie websites so when you click a
link in your bookmark bar, it adds a recording rule in mythweb from a
parsed movie title.

Currently I accomplish this by setting a reminder in my calendar for
every 2 weeks to look through Manage Recordings>Schedule
Recordings>Search Lists>Movies and look through the movies available.

Another thought is to integrate with the NetFlix plugin. When you go
to browse movies, it would be cool to have the option to either add to
the NetFlix Queue or Schedule a recording. Someone wrote a script
(haven't bothered looking so I don't know where it is) that would look
through your NetFlix queue and when it found something in the
listings, it would set it to record so that might be useful here, too.

All in all, I would say this would be a very cool plug-in for 0.23.
I'm sure I would use it. :)

-Brad