[mythtv-users] Stumped: MySQL and accessing the BE from a separate FE

leifontheroad leifontheroad at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 23 21:17:02 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the ideas, Joe. I've enabled logging and warnings, but I'm not seeing any warnings get popped anywhere. Errors appear to be showing up in syslog, which is great. But I can't get warnings to show up. According to the MySQL docs, if the value for log-warning is >1, then connection related info is written to the error log:

"The --log-warnings option or log_warnings system variable can be used to control warning logging to the error log. The default value is enabled (1). Warning logging can be disabled using a value of 0. If the value is greater than 1, aborted connections are written to the error log."

So I've set the log level in the DB:

mysql> show global variables like 'log_warn%';
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-------+
| log_warnings  | 1     |
+---------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> set global log_warnings=2;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> show global variables like 'log_warn%';
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| log_warnings  | 2     |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Logging in with the u/p and host that result in the "access denied" error message doesn't cause anything to show up in the syslog.

In addition, I've also just started mysqld from the command line with logging and log-warnings enabled:

$ sudo /usr/sbin/mysqld --log-warnings=2 --log-error

... and still, the access attempt doesn't show up in any of the logs. (And I don't see any other warnings logged anywhere).

I'm stumped. : )