[mythtv-users] Semi-OT - Dual TV antennas

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Aug 23 10:00:27 UTC 2009

Mark wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> I agree I was probably overly-pessimistic, but I have seen many cases
>> of home users spending time and money fooling around with this sort of
>> thing and winding up worse off than when they started.
>>
>> Multiple antennas can be a good solution for some specific situations,
>> but can be difficult to implement, requiring very exacting
>> construction and setup.
>>
>> It also depends a lot of where the various stations you want to
>> receive are, a single off-axis station is a simple example, but the OP
>> is talking about local stations with probable multi-path and non-line
>> of site problems.
>>
>> To the OP: I used to live in Peterborough, we had a lot of fun getting
>> CITY in TO from there, this being back in the 70s, before the CN tower
>> was operational.
>>
>> I recall one evening when CITY had some sort of local news show that
>> referred to Trudeau as a "silly asshole", which I though was unfair,
>> or at least wrong.
>>
>> I still say TO is the cleanest city in North America.
>>

> Not to hijack, but...  lets expand the discussion.
>
> Seems to me this could be an ideal application for multiple cards and
> multiple antennas.  I have often though of using
> something like this with my setup.  Run an antenna to a card with no
> splitters.  Run another antenna to another card with
> no splitters.  Edit channels so each card only picks up channels in that
> direction.  I have channels all around me at distance,
> so this seemed like a good way to go.  Opinions?

This should work, but you'll lose flexibility: each tuner will be able
to use only the signals from its own antenna.  If you have highly
directional antennas and transmitters in different directions, combining
and then splitting would allow more flexible scheduling.  You'll be
likely to have problems in combining, though, if one transmitter can be
received with comparable signal strength by more than one antenna.

John P