[mythtv-users] Semi-OT - Dual TV antennas

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Aug 21 22:17:07 UTC 2009

I'm not impressed by amplified antennas. They are usually a so-so antenna
paired with a POS amp. You get a lot of gain, but a lot of noise as well. I
replaced one with a nice un-amplified antenna and I got significantly better
reception. I went with a DB4. If you need more gain, there's the DB8. They
are similar to the CM-4221 and CM-4228 mentioned earlier. I believe the
price was lower on the DB4 when I purchased. It also looked to be built from
better materials, but that was just looking on the web, I haven't seen the
channel master antennas in person.

Note that all of these are directional antennas. If all your stations are in
close to the same direction, they will work well. If not, you will need to
consider other options. I would certainly be very carefull with trying to
combine antennas. It's possible to cause one to actually transmit the signal
from the other if you're not careful, that will irritate the FCC should you
cause problems for people. I would guess that it's more likely with
amplifiers in the mix.