[mythtv-users] Stumped: MySQL and accessing the BE from a separate FE

leifontheroad leifontheroad at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 21 22:00:44 UTC 2009

> I'm wondering if mySQL is matching on a different rule that doesn't
> allow your client in before it gets to the ones you added to allow it.

> I agree... let's take a look at that user table:
>
> mysql> use mysql;
> mysql> select User,Host,Password from user where User like '%myth%';
> mysql> select User,Host,Db from db where User like '%myth%';

Good idea - here it is (I masked the password data):

mysql> select User,Host,Password from user where User like '%myth%';
+--------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| User   | Host                 | Password                                  |
+--------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| mythtv | localhost            | *abunchofstuff|
| mythtv | %                    | *abunchofstuff|
| mythtv | 192.168.50.%         | *abunchofstuff|
| mythtv | desktop.local | *abunchofstuff|
| mythtv | %.local              | *abunchofstuff|
+--------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------+
5 rows in set (0.04 sec)

mysql> select User,Host,Db from db where User like '%myth%';
+--------+----------------------+-------------+
| User   | Host                 | Db          |
| mythtv | %                    | mythconverg |
| mythtv | %.local              | mythconverg |
| mythtv | 192.168.5.%         | mythconverg |
| mythtv | desktop.local | mythconverg |
| mythtv | localhost            | mythconverg |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

In reading the MySQL docs, it should evaluate each line until it finds a match. So it should get to the mythtv/%,which should be evaluated and accepted. Perhaps as a test I should remove everything but the mythtv/% line? Since this is a system table, I'm a little squeamish about doing that with my knowledge of SQL, so any tips on a recommended way to do that would be appreciated...