[mythtv-users] Fanless cpu & vdpau card

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Aug 21 19:43:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Mark Lehrer wrote:
>>
>> Hello, it is time for my annual consideration of updating my MythTV setup.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a fanless VDPAU-compatible card; and also a dual core
>> CPU that can run fanless?
>
> The only way you're going to get a fanless system is to either use an
> extremely low power processor like an Atom, or have a heatpipe (or water)
> running to a huge external heatsink.  Zalman used to have an entire case
> designed around that concept.

I recently built a machine for my bedroom.  I used one of these:

FSP Fanless 400W power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104035

and one of these:

Zerotherm BTF95 fanless CPU heat sink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887001

to support a 65W Core 2 Duo, 32 GB SSD, and fanless nvidia 8400 GS.

With the side panel of the case removed it will run silently with no
moving parts.

With the case closed, I need a fan.  One 16db 8cm fan on the case
(Evercool EGF-8) is enough to keep it running.

Eric