[mythtv-users] mythweb not asking for passwords

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Fri Aug 21 16:12:58 UTC 2009

On 08/21/09 07:57, Scott Macdonell wrote:

>> Not exactly an answer, but my apache asks for the password with or without
>> the /
>>

>> Marc
>>

> Hmmm... I'm on Fedora 11, what are you using? I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem with fedora 10. When you set it up did you do anything differently than described here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb#Apache_Configuration
>
> -Scott

Troubleshooting Apache directives can always be a little hairy, as there
are lots of places it might be reading from, causing conflicts and
overriding what you think is supposed to be happening -- you might want
to try the following just to orient yourself and make sure the problem
is really with this script:

1) Ensure that /var/www/html/mythweb/ does NOT contain a .htaccess file
that might be overriding some of your httpd.conf configurations
2) Remove everything you've added in, so you have a basic httpd.conf
file that doesn't secure the mythweb folder
3) Ensure that this clean httpd.conf does not reference
/var/www/html/mythweb anywhere
4) Search through httpd.conf for any "Include" commands, see what files
it might be including, and ensure that those included files don't have
any references to /var/www/html/mythweb
5) Make sure that the web root (/var/www/html) does NOT accidentally
contain any of the mythweb stuff (for example, if somewhere else in the
httpd.conf file your distro turns on the "MultiViews" directive, and you
have a mythweb.php script in the web root, then Apache would serve it up
instead of the mythweb directory when you type in the URL without the
trailing slash)
6) Add in JUST the following code to httpd.conf (anywhere towards the
end will do, as long as it's not added inside another directive):

Include /etc/httpd/conf/mythweb.conf

This will allow you to put all your mythweb's httpd.conf stuff in a
separate file, thus making it easier to troubleshoot.

7) Download this file:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythplugins/mythweb/mythweb.conf.apache

and save it as mythweb.conf

(Note that if you installed MythTV from a package repo, there may
already be a basic one somewhere else ... it could be in the mythweb
directory, or perhaps in the /etc/httpd/conf.d folder. In fact, if there
is one in that latter directory, which I think many of the distros
packages do, then there may be another line somewhere in the httpd.conf
that, by default, includes everything in that conf.d directory, thus
overriding all your configurations with the blank ones that the
mythweb.conf file has and causing the root of your problems!)

Uncomment out these lines:

         AuthType           Digest
         AuthName           "MythTV"
         AuthUserFile       /var/www/htdigest
         Require            valid-user

8) Change "Digest" to "Basic" and the path to the AuthUserFile to
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd-passwords (to reflect how you mentioned you've
already set it up)

9) Ensure that the setenv commands in the <Files mythweb.*> directive
are accurate for your DB installation.

10) Restart apache

If you still have the problem after all of that, well, the only thing
left I can think of might have to do with the hostname error you
mentioned in your original post; if apache can't reliably determine your
machine's hostname (are you properly declaring it in your httpd.conf
file, either by name or ip address? Does your /etc/hosts file reflect
that 127.0.0.1 and your LAN IP address can be resolved from all the
hostnames you may be trying to access the site from?).

Best of luck,
Jarom

--
Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor, College of Humanities
jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu