[mythtv-users] Firewire modules do not load

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 21 03:25:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009 23:03:59 bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> I can't get the modules to load after doing yum install libraw1394.i386 libavc1394.i386
> libiec61883.i386 libiec61883-utils.i386
>
> Should have:
>
> lsmod|grep 1394
>  dv1394                 20728  0
>  raw1394                25120  2
>  eth1394                19856  0
>  ohci1394               32716  1 dv1394
>  ieee1394              353144  4 dv1394,raw1394,eth1394,ohci1394
>
> lsmod|grep 1394 returns a blank line.

You yum installed userspace packages. The 1394 module bits are kernel
modules, which Fedora doesn't build, because the old firewire stack is
a steaming pile. :)

> lsmod does show firewire_ochi and firewire_core and dmesg shows these
> being added.

Yup. That's the expected behavior.

> If I try install libraw1394.i386 libavc1394.i386 libiec61883.i386 libiec61883-utils.i386
> again I get a message that says they are allready installed.

Also expected. You really ought to be all set there with the firewire-*
modules though. But if you really think you need the old drivers, you
will have to either build them yourself, or find someone who ships a
kernel module package containing them. Not sure if atrpms does any more
or not.

Sidebar: why is it that I keep getting firewire cable boxes that Just
Work, rather than one with issues that would require me to actually
dig into why we still have issues w/some cable boxes... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com