[mythtv-users] Stumped: MySQL and accessing the BE from a separate FE

leifontheroad leifontheroad at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:39:36 UTC 2009

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I really appreciate the help. I've checked everything suggested, and still no dice:

1. Seems like MySQL is listening on 3306 correctly (and recall that I can login if I start mysql with the --skip-grant-tables option, so that makes me believe that this is not a networking issue):
$ netstat -a -t -n |grep 3306 |grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3306            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

2. My my.cnf file has the 3306 port listed for [client] and [mysqld]

3. I've tried  both mysql -u mythtv -h 192.168.50.9 -p (no DB specified) and mysql -u mythtv -h 192.168.50.9 -p mythconverg - both yield the same results (failure)

4. I can telnet in on 3306 just fine (although Putty is garbling some of the chars):

$ telnet 192.168.5.19 3306
Trying 192.168.5.19...
Connected to 192.168.5.19.
Escape character is '^]'.
@
5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2.7k7mCCh,`,UHIt12GO5]

(typing enter closes the connection)

5. I tried to redo my grants with single quotes:
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'192.168.5.%' identified by 'mythtv';
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'%.local' identified by 'mythtv';
mysql> flush privileges;

Still get the same error: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'mythtv3.local' (using password: YES)

Anyone know how I can turn up some logging on the connection so I can see what's actually failing?