[mythtv-users] Stumped: MySQL and accessing the BE from a separate FE

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:12:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:49 PM,
leifontheroad<leifontheroad at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> How are you granting permissions? Are you using the GRANT command?
>> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/grant.html)
>
>> Make sure you FLUSH PRIVILEGES after GRANTing them...
>
> I'm doing a copy paste from the Mythtv docs at
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2. Here's exactly what I
> did:
>
> $ mysql -u root mythconverg
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
> mysql> flush privileges;

Make sure that MySQL is listening on port 3306 on your 192.168.5.19 interface:

$ netstat -a -t -n |grep 3306 |grep LISTEN

This should show you whether or not anything is listening on 3306 and
which address it's using (make sure it's 0.0.0.0 or the IP you connect
to).

Also, make sure that the port is set in your my.cnf for both the
server and the client programs:

[mysqld]
port            = 3306

[client]
port            = 3306

You can test the TCP connection by using telnet:

$ telnet 192.168.5.19 3306

The SQL server should respond with its version (and then promptly
close the connection).

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com