[mythtv-users] how to get slaves to automatically reconnect to the master backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 20 16:12:36 UTC 2009

On 08/20/2009 10:28 AM, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
> i ran a test and stopped the master backend.  i got a bunch of lines
> like the following on one slave:
>
> 2009-08-20 08:18:23.830 Connecting to master server: 192.168.1.104:6543
> 2009-08-20 08:18:23.846 Connection to master server timed out.
>
> once i started the backend again, i got a 'connected successfully'
> message.  i also checked the status page on mythweb and it reported
> that all the tuners on all the backends were available so it would
> seem that upon graceful shutdown and startup the slaves to reconnect.
> i also ran 'kill -9 <mythbackend pid>' to try and simulate a crash.
> in that case, the slaves also reconnected to the master.
>
> i wonder if there is any way to get the slaves to reconnect after a
> reboot or what the difference is in that case.

My guess would be the difference is that when the master backend
crashes, it's not the only thing that crashes--i.e. you're probably
running the MySQL server on the master backend host, right?  When the
system goes down, it takes the master mythbackend and the MySQL server
down.  Myth does not deal well with dying MySQL.  Try killing both the
master backend and the database server.

I'd recommend a) changing a remote backend to become the master backend
and changing the master backend to become a remote backend, and b)
moving the MySQL server to one of the remote backend hosts, then c)
taking however long it takes to figure out the problem causing the
master backend to reboot and in the process only worry about ever losing
one capture device.

Mike