[mythtv-users] Capture Card Power Requirements

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Aug 20 15:05:12 UTC 2009

David Rees wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM, James Crow<james at ultratans.com> wrote:
>
>> David Rees wrote:
>>
>>> I'd guess that your system pulls about 200w at the most during bootup.
>>>  You should pick up a Kill-A-Watt and test it - they're useful for
>>> other things, too! :-)
>>>
>> I just booted things up with the Kill-A-Watt. The highest reading I got
>> (right after pushing the power button) was 251 watts. This PSU is pre 80Plus
>> so I have no idea how efficient it might be, but 251 watts looks like I
>> should have plenty of breathing room. I will try running memtest overnight
>> on this system and see if reports errors. Tomorrow I will try to set all
>> capture cards to record at once (4 simultaneous recordings).
>>

> Well, at best it's probably 80% efficient, then, so 251w * 0.8 = 200w.
>  Damn, I didn't think I'd be that close to guessing your system's
> power draw!  ;-)
>
> Let us know how the testing goes.
>
> -Dave

Memtest ran all night (about 15 hours) and found no errors.

This system was built in Feb 2006 (PSU is older) and the MB should not
have a problem with bad caps. The only motherboards I have personally
seen with bad caps are much older, early pentium 4 boards. After
visually inspecting the MB, the caps all look good. I hate to pull out
the PSU to check its caps because all the wires are very neatly dressed
with zip ties and I will have to void any warranty that might be left on
the PSU. It will take me an hour or more just to get it out and back in.
One thing that bothers me is the BIOS hardware monitor shows the
voltages as low:
12V rail -> 11.71V
5V rail -> 4.89V
3.3V rail -> 3.26V
Vcore -> 1.36V.

I don't know if the sensors on the MB are not very sensitive (or poorly
calibrated) or if the voltages are indeed low. My multimeter shows the
voltages to be 11.97V and 5.00V.

After typing the above text I removed the PSU and voided the warranty.
It has two failed caps in it. So now I am in need of a new power supply.
I have used Antec almost exclusively in the past, but am open to other
brands. At work we have a Zalman on our test bench and it has performed
very well. The Corsair seem to be highly rated on NewEgg.

Any opinions while I go to search the archives?

Thanks,
James