[mythtv-users] Editing/transcoding HD-PVR (.ts) files

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Aug 20 06:06:41 UTC 2009

Doug Vaughan wrote:
> Bob.
>     Here are the steps that work for me with a HD-PVR recording and
> Avidemux v2.4.3 (r5127). Note I used a compiled SVN version of Avidemux
> v2.4.

Doug:  I'm using the Ubuntu binary (2.4.4).

> 1) Open the file with Avidemux and I get the pop up for which I click
> "Yes":
>  "This looks like mpeg
>  Do you want to index it?"

I will occasionally get that pop-up.  Usually it goes straight to the next
one ("H.264 detected"):

> 2) After the indexing I get another pop-up "... Avidemux can use another
> mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY. ..." and I click
> "Use Safe Mode"
>
> 3) After using the slider to position at the beginning (select A) and
> then end (select B) then ctrl-X to edit out commercials. With setting
> "Copy Audio, Copy Video and Format avi" I select save and set the file
> name with an extension of avi and save the file.

Here's the problem:  *** It won't save the file*** (even without edits).

If I had used "safe mode" above, I get a blank window labeled "Encoding",
which just sits, without ever picking up any text.  If I have invoked the
program from a terminal window, it leaves the text which I had copied in a
hangs, -or- if I did not use "Safe Mode" (but did the rebuild), it
crashes/segfaults on attempting to encode.

I just updated the HD-PVR's firmware to the latest on Hauppauge's site.
No difference.

I am still using RCA-out audio for the moment since my TV doesn't have an
optical-in.  I just have to get another set of RCA cables for the TV;
already have the optical cable running from the STB to the HD-PVR - but
you can't use both SPDIF and RCA-out from the HD-PVR at the same time.

Would the audio cause this???  Seems doubtful, but who knows.

> 4) I take the resulting avi file and run it through ffmpeg to convert it
> to a mkv container. Here is the simple bash script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # ffmpegmkv.sh
> # 1) Convert a HD-PVR recording to mkv container file
> # Command line
> #        ffmpegmkv "/media/virtual/VB_Share/Uncut/House of Saddam_P1.avi"
> #
> # Remove the file extention
> name=${1%\.*}
> ffmpeg -v 1 -i "$1" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -y "$name.mkv"

Will try this once I get past the above hurdle!

> All my recordings are 720p, and always AC3 audio from my Set Top Box. I
> cannot remember if I have every edited a video with AAC audio (RCA
> stereo jacks).
>
> At least with MythTV trunk and the latest HD-PVR drivers my audio is
> always in sync. Many months ago Avidemux always had audio out of sync
> around 300 - 100 ms which needed to be adjusted. I used mkvmerge GUI
> when I had to adjust the audio sync.
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Doug

Hopefully it will once I get past the above problem.  I appreciate the
reply.  Thanks.

Bob