[mythtv-users] Storage groups, NFS, and uniqueness

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 20 00:41:01 UTC 2009

On 08/19/2009 08:18 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/19/2009 08:04 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> I have a master backend (mythmaster) with two drives, and the default
>> storage group has two directories, one per drive.  I have a slave
>> backend (mythfe3), which has a USB tuner and is diskless.  Its default
>> storage group is set up to point over NFS to the master backend's two
>> drives.
>>
>> Is there some way to let the system know that the storage groups on
>> the master and slave backend are really the same, for the purpose of
>> disk load balancing and free space calculation?  For example, the
>> mythweb backend status page shows twice the amount of available space
>> as there actually is:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/392375#392375 and the
> rest of the thread.  It's fixed in trunk, now.
>
> Unfortunately, the fix can't really be applied to -fixes (as it
> requires modifying the protocol and a lot of new features).  In the
> meantime, you can "unoptimize" your NFS (by setting the blocksize to
> 32kB).  If you do that, make sure you remove that setting after
> upgrading to 0.22 (so you get better performance).

Actually, as this is likely to be an issue for a lot of users with
current kernel configurations, Chris Pinkham has a different fix we can
use for -fixes.

Can you please post the output of:

# On mythmaster:
df -k /storage/recordings
df -k /storage1/recordings

# On mythfe3:
df -k /net/mythmaster/storage/recordings
df -k /net/mythmaster/storage1/recordings

so we can decide on the specific value to use in our "engineering factor"?

Thanks,
Mike