[mythtv-users] Editing/transcoding HD-PVR (.ts) files

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Thu Aug 20 00:08:53 UTC 2009

Bob.
    Here are the steps that work for me with a HD-PVR recording and
Avidemux v2.4.3 (r5127). Note I used a compiled SVN version of Avidemux
v2.4.

1) Open the file with Avidemux and I get the pop up for which I click "Yes":
 "This looks like mpeg
 Do you want to index it?"

2) After the indexing I get another pop-up "... Avidemux can use another
mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY. ..." and I click
"Use Safe Mode"

3) After using the slider to position at the beginning (select A) and
then end (select B) then ctrl-X to edit out commercials. With setting
"Copy Audio, Copy Video and Format avi" I select save and set the file
name with an extension of avi and save the file.

4) I take the resulting avi file and run it through ffmpeg to convert it
to a mkv container. Here is the simple bash script:

#!/bin/bash
# ffmpegmkv.sh
# 1) Convert a HD-PVR recording to mkv container file
# Command line
#        ffmpegmkv "/media/virtual/VB_Share/Uncut/House of Saddam_P1.avi"
#
# Remove the file extention
name=${1%\.*}
ffmpeg -v 1 -i "$1" -vcodec copy -acodec copy -y "$name.mkv"

All my recordings are 720p, and always AC3 audio from my Set Top Box. I
cannot remember if I have every edited a video with AAC audio (RCA
stereo jacks).

At least with MythTV trunk and the latest HD-PVR drivers my audio is
always in sync. Many months ago Avidemux always had audio out of sync
around 300 - 100 ms which needed to be adjusted. I used mkvmerge GUI
when I had to adjust the audio sync.

I hope this helps

Doug