[mythtv-users] Editing/transcoding HD-PVR (.ts) files

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 19 15:59:52 UTC 2009

> > Hi all -
> >
> > I'm running 0.21-fixes (JYA's repo).
> >
> > I have been recording shows manually (through the CLI)
> from my HD-PVR with
> > good results.  However, as I'm doing it outside
> of Myth, I'm not sure how
> > to clip out the commercials and then transcode the .ts
> files.
> >
> > Google tells me that there are Windows apps that can
> do this.  Are there
> > any Linux apps that can?  I didn't find any while
> looking last night.
>
> You're looking for a video editor, for Linux there is:
>
> Cinelerra
>
> GOPChop
>
> avidemux
>
> Kino
>
> Kdenlive
>
> And many others, just look for "linux video editors".
>
> Which one you want will depend on how fancy you want to get
> with effects etc.
> You probably just want a simple cuts-only editor, start
> with GOPChop or
> avidemux.
>
> --
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org
I installed avidemux and gopchop.  avidemux worked for me, but the audio was badly out of sync with the video in the edited version.  I tried gopchop, but it wouldn't even read my HDHR MPEG2 files.  It reported they contained garbage and gave up.

The gopchop man page states, "Fast, lossless cuts-only editor for MPEG2 video files" and "The typical use is manually editing commercials out of recorded television programs."  This is what I wanted to do, so gopchop seemed like what I am looking for.  Is there something special that needs to be done to make gopchop read my HDHR MPEG2 recordings?

Jay