[mythtv-users] Editing/transcoding HD-PVR (.ts) files

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Aug 19 15:44:30 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 14:39:02 Bob Sully wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Brian and Doug for the list of apps - will check them out.  As
>> Doug is using avidemux, will look there first.
>
> That's probably the best place to start. Cinelerra is a full-blown editor,
> capable of producing feature films. If you just want to cut commercials,
> it
> would be a bit like swatting a fly with a howitzer.
>
> You might also look into projectX, a java-based editor that's pretty
> basic.
>
> Avidemux is probably best for you, though.

Thanks all for the recommendation.  It is a slick little utility.

Avidemux seems to have problems with these HD-PVR files, at least on my
systems.

I can pull the file in, play it within the app (though it keeps telling me
that it can't initialize the audio device), do simple chops.  But it won't
save the edited results.  I have left it at the defaults for now (Copy,
Copy, AVI).  On trying to save, I either get this, then "infinite hang":

AAC Frame found at offset :0 layer:1 profile:1 samperate:48000 channels:2
size:440 nbBlock:1
Saving crash file to /home/rcs/.avidemux/crash.js

 **Saving script project **
Conf size : 0

*********** BACKTRACK **************
Frame  0: avidemux2_gtk(ADM_backTrack+0x5a) [0x5d817a]
Frame  1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7f8edefed040]
Frame  2: avidemux2_gtk(_Z22defaultAudioQueueSlaveP12audioQueueMT+0x72)
[0x5d4cf2]
        <defaultAudioQueueSlave>(audioQueueMT)
Frame  3: /lib/libpthread.so.0 [0x7f8ee267e3ba]
Frame  4: /lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d) [0x7f8edf09ffcd]
*********** BACKTRACK **************

Or, it simply segfaults.

It hangs if I edit the file in "safe mode" (states that it's an h.264
file, might have "B-frames, etc.") and segfaults if I don't but do the
suggested rebuild.

I have tried this on the Myth machine itself and on two others over ssh
(running higher-resolution X, as trying to edit 1280x720 on a 1280x720
screen is cumbersome) with similar results.

It seems to work fine with a few .avi files I had in my video directory,
so the problem appears to be with the raw files from the HD-PVR, which are
in 720p resolution, and acquired simply via "cat /dev/video1 >
/video/filename".

Any idea what I'm missing here?
Thanks again - Bob