[mythtv-users] How do I create a mythbackend watchdog timer?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:16:05 UTC 2009

In another thread, it was pointed out that mythbackend crashes
periodically and there is nothing I can do about it until it is
debugged.  So, I want to create a timer that will restart if if it has
crashed becasue I don't want my marriage to crash along with
mythbackend.

There seem to be a ton of opinions on how to do this along with lots
of notes to change this or that line if it causes problems.  Someone
must be doing this and have an opinion on what works.  The email
feature would be great if that works out of the box but in any event
some monitoring that something happened.

I found this, which has several options
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/StatusMonitoringHowTo

And this
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-917406.html

Before I try all these, what works?  I am running mythbuntu 8.04

Allen

Allen