[mythtv-users] Motherboard recommendation Socket 775 with NTSC TV Out

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 18 17:33:32 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009 11:09:24 Javier Perez wrote:
>  Hi
> Is there such a thing?
>
> I have been searching without look so far
>
> I have an Asus  M2NPV-VM (socket AM2) that suddenly decided not to boot. It
> would attempt booting but the
> logo screen would not show up. Nevertheless I could turn it off by keeping
> the start button pressed for a more than a few seconds.
> There were not beeps.
>
> I already saw some other options in socket AM2 (Biostar TA690G AM2, MSI K9
> something), But lately I have standardized myself on Socket 775 so I wonder
> if there is any socket 775 tv out motherboard out there.
>
> I know I can use a graphics card, but the only ones I have seen with
> composite out is some Jaton brand I've never heard about.It would be a more
> expensive route, I think.
>
> On the other hand I am not sure if the problem with my current board is the
> board itself or the CPU. I had a small accident with the CPU, but
> I am sure if I can place a  new CPU without updating the BIOS assuming the
> board works, therefore I would need to buy two AM2 CPUs, one to update the
> bios and then
> the real one I would be using.
>
> I'd like to listen to your input on this.

I'm not sure what your "small accident" was with the CPU, was it electrical or
physical? Bent pin or severe overclock?

Anyway, only you can conclude if the CPU is working or not, but I have revived
a couple of mobos (just happened to have been Asus), with this technique:

First try clearing the CMOS using the jumper for that purpose.

Pull the AC plug, then remove the battery from the mobo, then press the power
switch with the AC power removed, then replace the battery, and make sure the
CMOS clear jumper is back in the "normal" position.

Plug in the AC power and try again.

As I said, this has worked for me, of course YMMV.

Thanks to John Drescher for this suggestion back last February.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org