[mythtv-users] AAC 5.1 over optical?

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 18 06:23:40 UTC 2009

Hi All

I've started to use mythnuv2mkv as a script to transcode my files.
The limitation it has is that it can't just keep the ac3 audio instead of
compressing to another format.

I have found out that in future it may encode to 6 channel (5.1) AAC although I
have read in many places that this can't be transmitted over optical.

Can 5.1 AAC be transmitted over optical s/pdif in mythtv (maybe stream as ac3 or
6 channel mp3?)? Or do I have to look for another transocding solution if I want
to keep 5.1 audio?

cheers

Allan