[mythtv-users] Low power AMD processors

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Mon Aug 17 22:45:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM, John Drescher<drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM, David Schlenk<mythtv at schdav.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not having one of these I do not know about performance however I used
>>> K8 processors at lower frequency with 1080i successfully.
>>>
>>> One thing that is very attractive to me is idle power and if you
>>> believe the following link the 250 is excellent at that:
>>>
>>> http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=42&limit=1&limitstart=6
>>>

>> Yeah, that's what is interesting to me about them. Low power + low
>> cost the big question is how well do they perform. I suppose I could
>> just bite the bullet and find out but I'm hoping to learn from the
>> experience of others if at all possible.
>>

> They have a better IPC than k8 cores of the same frequency. You might
> want to check back discussions of what k8 processors can do with HDPVR
> output.
>
> John M. Drescher

Yeah, and according the fancy anandtech bench tool thingy
(http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=2) a C2D at 2.93 GHz is
14% better overall or something like that
(http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=96&p2=87), but it's not
like they have HD-PVR 1080p decoding using MythTV as one of their
benchmarks.