[mythtv-users] Restrict tuner usage at a given time

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Aug 17 17:19:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Michael T.
Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/17/2009 10:27 AM, Marc Randolph wrote:
>>
>> I have a different, but semi-related use case:
>>
>> my daughter tends to watch t.v. at the same time as the first showing
>> of something that I want to record (which I have sent to "record
>> once"). I need to be able to create a semi-blackout period that pushes
>> myth to record later showings when there is a later showing.
>
> Usually you do this kind of thing with the setting:
>
> Reschedule Higher Priorities
> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
> conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that would
> otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority program if
> the schedule changes.
>
> and appropriate priorities for recording rules.  Note that turning off
> "Reschedule Higher Priorities" would have the effect of forcing the
> highest-priority recordings to occur first--meaning you must be /much/ more
> careful in assigning priorities, but Myth will then record based on your
> priorities.
>
>>  Bonus
>> points: when there isn't a later showing, I want the option of having
>> it, on a per show/rule basis, either record anyway (over my daughters
>> wishes), or not record (so she can watch her Hanna Montana).
>>
>> The main reason for the semi-blackout period is that I'm still working
>> on her to use myth for her viewing - she tends to change the channel
>> of the cable box directly, so Myth doesn't even realize it is
>> capturing Hanna Montana rather than my show.
>>
>> In summary, I think I need to be able to assign a lower priority to
>> recording at certain times of the day - but not shut down the tuner
>> altogether.  Anyone have ideas regarding that?
>
> That you could do with Custom Priorities (assuming you want the priority
> modification applied to all rules during that period).  See (the end of) my
> favorite section of the HOWTO:
>  http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6 .  Note that there
> are many examples in the Custom Priority editor.
>
> If you want the custom priority applied only to her shows during the period,
> you'll need to use Custom Recording Rules (
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.5 ) and create 2 rules
> for each of her shows--one that matches during the blackout period and that
> has a lower priority and another that matches outside the blackout period
> and has a higher priority.
>
> Mike

Howdy Mike, Thanks for the ideas.

I was hoping to not have to do things on a show-by-show basis... my
idea (which is obviously not current possible) was to create a dummy
entry in the schedule for her normal t.v. watching times - but this
entry wouldn't be a show that used a tuner - instead it would allow
special properties to be assigned to other shows that are set to
record during that period... in this case, it would lower their
priority just during the specified time period.

And yes, I should probably hide the remote.  And then lock the glass
doors that house the cable box.

   Marc