[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:15:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> You might try a directional coupler instead of a hybrid splitter to feed
> the
> cable modem. My cable company does this exclusively, and will not use a
> hybrid splitter to feed a docsys modem.
>
> You also have to use a splitting device that is bi-directional, since a
> cable
> modem needs a two-way path, while TV sets etc. do not.
>
> Unless the powered splitter had a return path, even with little or no gain,
> I'm surprised the cable modem worked at all.
>
> Make sure any unused outputs are properly terminated, or you can get
> ringing
> or other problems similar to multi-path with antennas, these problems are
> more serious with digital signals.

What's a directional coupler?  Sounds like it is not bi-directional, and the
opposite of what is being recommended.

Antenna signals are often weird voodoo.  I always start out wiring things
"by the book".  But when things don't work as expected and I start
trial and error rearranging things, I'll accidentally leave off a
terminator,
or do something else wrong.   And discover it inexplicably works better
that way.

--
Drew Einhorn