[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:21:16 UTC 2009

> I like my HDHomerun but there are two things that need to be pointed out:
>
> 1) The HDHR is susceptible to electromagnetic noise.  Sitting in the stack
> of electronics under my TV, I had regular glitches in recordings.  Moved a
> couple of feet of to one side, it is much better.  But it is off center for
> IR commands which trips up visitors.
>
> 2) The tuner in the HDHR is less than stellar.  A number of people have
> reported that their HDHR recordings have glitches when other tuners
> (computer or in the TV) are perfect.  Some people are able to receive
> distant stations with other tuners but not the HDHR.
>
> As I said, I like my HDHR, but I'd like to see a hardware rev to address
> these issues.  I'd pay $50 more for one with shielding and a more-modern
> tuner.
>
> Craig

I would agree with point 2.  I'm not saying it's a bad tuner.  I have had
problems with the tuners in my HDHR.  I was on the IRC channel trying to
solve an issue why my $2000 Samsung TV was getting more channels (digital
music channels) when my HDHR was not.  They attributed the issue to the
splitters used in my house.  They recommended a particular brand of powered
splitter.  It's about $100 for 8 ports.  I haven't purchased it yet, as I'm
waiting for the remodel on my basement first.
The money and ease of adding it to a Myth install make this tuner my choice.