[mythtv-users] Digital broadcasting standards, Japan, and Hauppauge cards

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sun Aug 16 23:03:46 UTC 2009

MythTV Users,

I live in Japan, and they are phasing out analog television broadcast in
favour of digital. All TV stations now broadcast in digital, and analog
broadcast will stop entirely sometime in 2011.

I'm considering buying a Hauppauge 1300 for my Mythbuntu computer. From
what I can tell, the Hauppauge 1300 has digital and analog reception,
and is compatible with MythTV. Also, I've been using a PVR-150, which
has worked reasonably well, so I'm comfortable with the brand.

However, what I'm not so clear on is if getting any digital receiver
works in any country's digital broadcasting system. If I get the
Hauppauge, does it just work? What, if anything, do I need to know about
digital broadcast in order to determine if the receiver is compatible
with a regions broadcasts?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G