[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hanging w/blank screen

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 14:22:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Mike Kobler <mkobler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Marc Tousignant<drayson at net1plus.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hi all.
> >>
> >> I've been successfully running mythtv for quite a few years now.
> >> Recently, we lost power and my machine went down uncleanly (I'm
> >> assuming, the UPS couldn't keep it running long enough to shut down
> >> cleanly).  In any case, upon rebooting the machine, everything came
> >> back up fine, except for the frontend.
> >>
> >> It draws the background picture, but no menus, text or icons and hangs
> >> 'forever'.
>
> > Best guess, try deleting .mythtv/themecache This should have the effect
> of
> > regenerating your themecache and hopefully allowing myth to start.
>
> Yeah, I've already tried that :(  I even reset the frontend to use the
> default theme, with no change in behavior.
>
> I also ran a fsck, thinking there might be something corrupted, but no
> problems were found there either.   I've even rebuilt/reinstalled
> mythtv with no success.
>
> mike

If you rebuilt the entire system (although you didn't say that) then it must
be hardware or the TV.  Anything in the box you can unplug and try running
without, like capture cards?  Just a shot in the dark, I hate these kind of
problems.   I have had three computers die in the last few months around
here.  Just save the disks and start over with another one.  Maybe they are
timing out.  They are all 2.4P4's and luckily we seem to have a lot of them
that have been upgraded to newer machines so I have not run out.  Anyway,
when troubleshooting them, I get to the point where nothing is plugged in
and when they won't boot that way, it is trash time.  Try taking out memory
sticks, DVD roms, capture cards, nic cards, anything else that isn't needed.
 Try a monitor instead of a TV.  Just switch stuff around.

Allen