[mythtv-users] HDMI issues

Seth Art sethsec at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 05:00:25 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I have a problem that is not really related to MythTV, but I don't
even know where to start troubleshooting.  If anyone can point me in
the right direction, or point me to the right tools, I would certainly
appreciate it.

Details:
TV: Sony Bravia KDL-40v4100
Video Card: Nvideo 5200 (DVI, VGA, S-Video out)
Cable: DVI to HDMI cable
OS: Latest MythDora (10.21)

Problem:  I recently purchased a new TV (above), and a new DVI (video
card) to HDMI (TV) cable.  The problem is that when using this cable
the screen "flickers" black for about 1-2 seconds every 2-5 minutes.

It seems to only do this when playing video, or viewing pictures in
slideshow mode.   I know it is not a MythTV issue, because I tried
playing a video with both Totem and Xine in standalone mode, and not
even full screen and the same problem occurs.  Interestingly even when
the video is playing on a quater of the screen, the entire screen goes
"blank/black" for that second or two.

Troubleshooting: I hooked up my 24 inch BENQ HDMI monitor and played
the video for a good 10 minutes without any flickers.  That certainly
seems to rule out the cable and the video card, doesn't it?

To me it seems that all that is left is: the Sony TV (please, no!) or
a X config issue.

I tailed /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and even
/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log to see if any messages popped up
right at the flicker point, but nope.

I even tried to create a custom modeline. I cant remember the tool I
used to create the modeline (not in my history unfortunately), but
here it is, with the rest of my monitor section of the xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
    # 1920x1080 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 67.08 kHz; pclk: 172.80 MHz
    Modeline "1920x1080_60.00"  172.80  1920 2040 2248 2576  1080 1081
1084 1118  -HSync +Vsync
EndSection

Does anyone have any ideas?  Where should I start troubleshooting?
Has anyone seen something similar?   Do you need more info?

I should also note that when I use a VGA (video card) to VGA (TV)
there is no flicker at all.  The main drawback is that the picture is
noticeably less vibrant and less sharp.

Thanks!

Seth