[mythtv-users] Need help with new MythBuntu install

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 22:46:10 UTC 2009

I am migrating from FC6 & MythTV 0.20.2 to MythBuntu 9.04 on the same
hardware using a different EIDE disk for the O/S.

I am using a separate large disk for recording storage.

I have installed MythBuntu on the EIDE disk, but I skipped the
mythtv-setup process (intentionally -- see below).

I am trying to use the mysql commands to drop the mythconverg database
and recreate it from my MythTV 0.20.2 system's mysql backup BEFORE I
run mythtv-setup because, IIRC, mythtv-setup will migrate the 0.20.2
database to 0.21 format and I will have all my settings from the old
system, including all the details of my currently recorded programs.

HOWEVER!  I can't get into mysql as described in
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 because mysql
apparently wants to know what root's mysql password is and I can't
find anything to tell me what it is.  I found a MythBuntu help page
here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MysqlPasswordReset) about
resetting the password, but that failed, saying I had the
--skip-grant-tables option on so it wouldn't allow the command to set
root's password.

Please help.

Craig.