[mythtv-users] Controlling TV and amp using IR signals

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 16:05:31 UTC 2009

2009/8/15 Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com>:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Glenn Sommer<glemsom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As you might have heard on the IRC channel - I've been looking for a
>> way to control my TV and amp using IR signals - and a way to test the
>> current state of my TV.
>>
>> I've managed to do this using some shellscrips, lirc and i2cdump.
>>
>> On the IRC channel I've noticed other people looking for the same
>> solution - so I though I'll share my finding here.
>> Please note, as stated on my homepage - the scripts are designed to
>> work on MY system. But they can easily be modified to work on others
>> aswell! :)
>>
>> Feel free to grap whatever you find usefull:
>> http://glemsom.anapnea.net/mythtv/mythtv-control-ir.html
>
> Great timing Glenn.  I was just thinking about this after visiting a
> friend with a Harmony remote and was wondering if someone else had
> already done exactly what you describe.  A couple of quick questions:
>
> I looked over the scripts and did some google'n - is there a
> repository that helped you figure out the EDID and i2c format and
> commands for your TV?

Well, I got the idea of reading EDID from i2c here:
http://www.polypux.org/projects/read-edid/
I then used i2cdetect and i2cdump to find the bus where I could read
the EDID information.
note: I don't do anything at all with the EDID information, I just see
if i *CAN* read them - which in my case means my TV is currently
turned on.

> I was going to ask the same about the lirc sequences transmitted with
> irsend to the TV and amp unit, but then I realized that these codes
> would be the same as what lircd would expect to receive from the
> corresponding remote - so it's just a matter of finding the codes
> (either yourself or on web).
> http://lircconfig.commandir.com/lircd.conf/ seem to have a pretty
> complete list.

Correct! When lirc knows what the IR signals looks like - it can both
receive and transmit them.

Personally I had to use irrecord to make a working lirc.conf file -
since I was unable to find a working configuration for my remotes. But
it really didn't take that long to do - and it seems to work just
fine! :)