[mythtv-users] Migration/Upgrade Advice Needed (MythTV 0.20.2 + Fedora Core 6 to MythBuntu 9.04)

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 15:04:52 UTC 2009

Short Version: I have scanned through the MythTV wiki and read the
MythBuntu install manual/guide, but still have questions/concerns.
In particular, I could use answers to these questions which I now
cannot find answers to:
A) Do I need to have accessible copies of anything else tucked away on
my /video partition for use in the migration/upgrade process besides
the latest mySQL backup (while I keep the FC6 O/S disk offline for
insurance/fallback)?
B) At what point do I divert from a standard new system installation
of MythBuntu 9.04 to load the backup?
C) Is it just a momentary digression from the standard install process
or do I do the rest of the process manually from that point?
D) How do I load the mySQL backup and where does it go in a MythBuntu
installation?
E) What did I forget to ask about?

Long Version:
Way back when, I used Jarod Wilson's guide to install FC6 and then
install and configure MythTV 0.20.2 on top of it.  After considerable
twiddling and tweaking, I ended up with a FE/BE and a second FE that
has served me well for a couple of years now.  It has achieved a WAF
approaching the "purity of Ivory soap factor" ;-)

It is long past time I got up to MythTV 0.21 and with 0.22 coming
"soon", I figure it is about time I did something about it.  In
addition, now is a good time since the new programming season is not
yet upon us.

I don't have a lot of time to invest in getting the upgrades working
(I still have to work for a living, darn it!) so I wanted to go with
one of the all-in-one distros.  From what I've read, MythBuntu sounds
like a good choice.  I have downloaded the ISO and started a test run
install which looks good as far as I let it run on a spare disk drive
(primary MythTV system disks disconnected completely for the test).

Now, before I do something stupid (it has been known to happen), I'd
appreciate any cautionary advice about how to go about migrating,
given the following facts:
1) I have mySQL backups!
2) FC6 & MythTV 0.20.2 are installed on a PATA 250GB disk with /, /var
formatted EXT3 and /vidArch (my original video partition, about 225GB)
formatted EXT3 inside an LVM
3) /video (my current video recording partition -- I manually move
recording files to /vidArch when I'm getting behind in my watching and
put links to their new locations in /video) is a 500GB SATA drive
formatted JFS
4) I have configured my DHCP server to grant fixed IPs to my MythTV
systems (static DHCP)
5) I want to end up with the FC6 system disk completely unused (as
soon as I get a little more caught up with my viewing) so I can get
rid of the LVM and reformat the entire disk as a single JFS partition
to take advantage of 0.21's storage groups feature.
6) I have no experience with Ubuntu
7) I had extensive experience at work administering SunOS and Solaris
systems for a number of years

Craig.