[mythtv-users] subtitle matching rule not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 15 15:01:36 UTC 2009

On 08/15/2009 04:12 AM, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 08/14/2009 08:10 PM, Bill Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> We have a new channel in AU called "Go!" which is showing reruns.  I
>>> have a rule set up for Seinfeld as "any time any channel" and "match
>>> duplicates using subtitle."
>>>
>>> The show shows up in the list as:
>>> Seinfeld: "The Watch"
>>> and so on, so it has a subtitle.  Despite this it will NEVER match
>>> duplicates.
>>>
>>> How can I debug this?  I've also tried "subtitle then description"
>>> which made no changes.
>>>
>> Have you actually recorded that episode with that subtitle, yet?  If not,
>> it's not yet a duplicate.  If so, I'd guess your old recorded episode and
>> the new program listings episode both have programid's (that differ), so
>> it's not seen as a duplicate.
> They don't match as dupes on the upcoming recording screen, and myth
> records all of them every time. (so I'll have 2-3 of each episode
> already recorded)
>
> Why should program ID matter when I tell it to match via subtitle?  I
> know that shepherd is very dicky with its programids...

Because programid, if it exists, is considered the ultimate arbiter of
uniqueness, so it always overrides the chosen duplicate-check method
when both the old recorded episode and the new program listings episode
have a programid.  The programid is meant to be a unique key for each
episode of a show.  If it's anything else, your grabber needs to be
fixed to not provide a programid.

If, however, you use multiple sources of listings data (i.e. XMLTV on
some channels and EIT on others), you're likely to have different
programid's for the same episodes.  The work Stuart A. is doing on EIT
custom authorities may actually help out in this case (in 0.22 and
beyond), but I don't know for sure.  Until then, if you have
"incompatible" data sources, you can always just post-process your XMLTV
data (even with a simple sed script) to remove programid's before
running mythfilldatabase on the data.

Mike