[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Aug 15 02:25:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:45:52PM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> At 5:06 PM -0400 8/12/09, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM, James Oltman<cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I chose to go with a HD HomeRun.  []  I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (if I had the need
> >> that is).
> >
> >Just to add to the HDHR love fest...
> >
> >I had the power supply for my HDHR fail about a month or two after the
> >one year warranty on mine expired.  Silicon Dust shipped out a new
> >supply at no cost to me without any problems.  All I had to do was
> >file a trouble ticket on their web site and it was at my door within
> >the week.
> >
> I like my HDHomerun but there are two things that need to be pointed out:
>
> 1) The HDHR is susceptible to electromagnetic noise.  Sitting in the stack of electronics under my TV, I had regular glitches in recordings.  Moved a couple of feet of to one side, it is much better.  But it is off center for IR commands which trips up visitors.
>
> 2) The tuner in the HDHR is less than stellar.  A number of people have reported that their HDHR recordings have glitches when other tuners (computer or in the TV) are perfect.  Some people are able to receive distant stations with other tuners but not the HDHR.

    That may be. However, my HDHR is still my prefered tuner for general
purpose use in a house with several real HDTVs. The HDHR may not be the
best USB/PCI tuner but it still manages to outperform the tuners in some
$3000 TVs.

    Dealing with OTA signals is a dicey proposition in general.

    I also had a strange bit of improvement recently when I completely
rebuilt my master backend from scratch due to a failure of the previous
bit of hardware. Channels that I thought I had lost to the digital
switchover came in again with a fresh reinstall and rescan of everything.

> As I said, I like my HDHR, but I'd like to see a hardware rev to address these issues.  I'd pay $50 more for one with shielding and a more-modern tuner.

[deletia]