[mythtv-users] Extracting closed captions / content analysis

Aaron Delwiche carbonel.tigereye at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 19:28:47 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm a researcher who studies media content. I would like to create a
relatively inexpensive system that will allow me to capture video content
while also storing the closed captions in separate text files. This system
should have at least four separate tuners, and it should be possible to
easily skip between searchable transcripts and the actual stored video.

There are commercial systems that offer this functionality, but they are
extremely expensive (upwards of $18,000). I would like to come up with a
shoe-string solution that delivers comparable functionality.

Is MythTV a reasonable platform for this type of project? Is there another
platform that would be more workable?

I've done a bit of programming in the past with C# and ASP.NET, and am
capable of writing some of the code from scratch. However, if there are
affordable widgets out there that would perform these functions, that would
definitely be preferable.

Thanks in advance for your time. If you think this question would be more
appropriate in a different set of forums, please let me know.

Aaron Delwiche