[mythtv-users] Zotac memory ?

Dennis Cartier dennis.cartier at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:43:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:37 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>  Kevin Bailey wrote:
>>
>>> I know this isn't quite myth related, but perhaps it will help
>>> others interested in buying a Zotac ion board.
>>> I bought 2 of these boards, the single core with power supply
>>> variety. Neither of them make it to the BIOS boot screen.
>>> I have a PS2 keyboard plugged in, VGA monitor (although I've
>>> also tried DVI), memory and of course the power supply. I've
>>> also tried it with a USB memory stick.
>>> When I power it on, the keyboard and USB drive light up
>>> briefly but then nothing.
>>> I tried clearing the CMOS with jumper 1.
>>> The only thing in common is the memory. I bought this:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117
>>> Kingston ValueRAM, 2x1GB, DDR2 800MHz, 240 pin, CAS latency 5, 1.8V
>>> I've tried with one stick in each slot, and with both.
>>> Is this even the right kind of memory ? What are others using ?
>>> If not the memory, is there something obvious that I'm supposed to do
>>> to get it to power up ?
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> I recently got the A-U version of this motherboard (dual core and brick
>> power). My memory stick is the same spec as yours: DDR2 800. Normally I
>> would suspect the power supply, since you do not get to a BIOS screen.
>>

> I have the dual-core atx power board. Wouldn't do squat with a pair of 1G
> DDR2-800 sticks I pulled out of another box (where they worked just fine,
> but were to be replaced by a pair of 2G sticks I bought). Works just fine
> with the pair of 2G sticks I'd wanted to put in the other box. *shrug* Guess
> its a bit intolerant of something or other. Voltage? Timings? Dunno...

I suspect the Zotac ION boards are somewhat picky when it comes to memory. I
recently purchased a IONITX-A and noticed that it would never do a warm boot
and only booted 1 out of every 5 or 6 tries. I was about to return it to the
store and then thought perhaps the ram I had used (from an old board) was
not up to snuff. I replaced it with 4G of Crucial Ballistix from my main
system and tada!, boots every time including warm boots. I purchased some
decent OCZ ram for it and the system works fine now.

Dennis

--
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Hunter S. Thompson, US journalist (1939 – 2005)