[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Thu Aug 13 21:31:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Tom<listmail at athenet.net> wrote:
> At 03:05 PM 8/13/2009 -0400, you wrote:

>> > This is actually another benefit that the HDHR has over a PCIe card --
>> > especially considering that you're running a combined FE/BE. With any
>> > PCIe
>> > card doing your recording on a box that's also your FE, you'll have to
>> > have
>> > a separate device to run the frontend interface, whether that be a
>> > serial,
>> > PCI/e, or USB infrared receiver. But with the HDHR sitting on your
>> > network,
>> > if you set it physically in a place where it can receive your remote
>> > control
>> > input then you can configure your frontend's lirc to listen for UDP
>> > data.
>> > I've got my HDHR on a little shelf of my entertainment center and can
>> > thus
>> > put my combined FE/BE back behind the entertainment center, away from
>> > the
>> > kids, pets, etc.
>> >
>> > Jarom
>>
>> If your HDHR tuner is in a place where you can conveniently use it to
>> recieve IR signals, you aren't using it to its full potential.  Mine is
>> tucked away in the laundry room with the rest of my networking stuff.  One
>> of the great advantages of the HDHR is you don't have to run antenna
>> cables
>> to your TV.
>
> Um, most of us who are replacing old-school technology (VCRs, DVD recorders,
> old DVRs, other stuff) with a Myth FE or FE/BE **already have** coax
> (antenna, cable, or sat) right there at the TV/EC. I also have voice (for my
> old Replay) and Ethernet x2.
>
> Wouldn't most folks, except maybe new construction, have that? Even new
> construction, you'd be missing a coax run to the EC only if you knew you
> were going to do Myth and only Myth, and only in a configuration as you
> describe.
>
> Just one man's 0.015 euro.

Mostly true.  But,... I have QAM and ATSC hooked up to (different
inputs) on my HDHR.  To do this I would need 2x coax runs to my
TV/backend.  With the HDHR it sits in the basement where everything
enters the house.  Also coax is pretty large and relatively
inflexible.  Removing one box and a cable or 2 from the TV area helps
clean it up a bit.